HIGHVIEW FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
Jefferson County, Kentucky
The Highview Fire District participates in the Kentucky Fire Commission Junior Firefighter Program. In keeping with the structure of the volunteer fire service, our youth program recruits the younger generation and uses their time and effort in exchange for training and structure. The program focuses on learning about emergency operational methods and techniques as they pertain to firefighting, fire prevention, and emergency medical services, and how the process of mastering these skills makes for a well rounded adult. Teenagers from the ages of 14 and 17 may participate in basic classroom and hands-on firefighter training. The Junior firefighters can also work shifts and ride along with the career firefighters on fire runs, with certain limitations. It is a great way to learn about the fire service, make friends, have fun and get more exercise.
1. Interested parties need both an application and parental consent form.
2. Must maintain a cumulative grade point average of a minimum equivalent of a 2.0 in a curriculum.
3. Fourteen year olds are only permitted to attend classroom training and observe the skills/hands on portion of the training evolutions.
4. Ages 15-17 are permitted to participate in classroom, skills, hands on training and the ride along program with certain limitations:
a) Junior firefighters are not to be substituted for trained of age personnel.
b) Junior firefighters are not to enter any atmosphere that poses an immediate threat to life, would cause irreversible adverse health effects, or would impair an individual’s ability to escape from a dangerous atmosphere.
5. Must comply with all guidelines and standard operating procedures of the Highview Fire District.
If you are interested in joining the Junior Firefighter Program, or would like to receive more information on the program, please stop by our Station 1 or complete a contact form.